Adoptive parenting is often referred to as “Parenting + Plus,” because adoptive parents have all the rights and responsibilities of other parents…plus a few more.
Buckner provides education that prepares parents to be successful in the extra tasks involved in adoptive parenting
• Families attend a 14-hour training which educates the families on the following: legal process involved in adoption, bonding and attachment, grief and loss, raising adopted children, benefits to children in maintaining connections, birth family perspective, communication and establishing healthy relationships with birth families for the benefit of the child.
• Buckner requires families to read at least three books on the Required Reading List during their home study process.
• Once approved for adoption, prospective adoptive parents need to obtain quarterly education until they receive placement of a child.
• Buckner provides ongoing education through quarterly trainings and regularly scheduled support groups.
• Along with the education provided through workshops, educational seminars, and support groups, Buckner also provides families with one-on-one guidance to meet their individual needs and/or concerns.
Click here to view a list of recommended reading and further resources.