Adoptive parenting is often referred to as “Parenting + Plus,” because adoptive parents have all the rights and responsibilities of other parents…plus a few more.
Buckner provides education that prepares parents to be successful in the extra tasks involved in adoptive parenting
• Families attend a 14-hour training which educates the families on the following: grief and loss of the children, the effects of institutionalization, cultural needs of the children, medical issues, attachment considerations, raising adopted children, parenting children with behavior challenges, developmental delays, the international adoption process and preparing for travel.
• Buckner works with families who reside outside of Texas to ensure they receive comparable training if they cannot attend the 14-hour training at the Dallas office.
• Buckner requires families to complete at least 10 hours of education during their home study process and complete a minimum of 16 hours before the adoption.
• Families are required to receive on-going education throughout the adoption process.
• Texas licensing standards require parents to obtain quarterly education prior to adoption finalization.
• All education will benefit the parents as they prepare for the lifelong commitment to raise an adopted child.
• Along with the education provided through workshops, educational seminars and support groups, Buckner also provides families with one-on-one guidance to meet their individual needs or concerns.
• On-going education is offered during the monthly support groups
Please click here for a list of some of our required reading.